Sports Medicine and Hand Rehabilitation
UVA-HealthSouth Sports Medicine and Hand Rehabilitation is a collaboration which combines the strengths of the University of Virginia and HealthSouth Corporation. Our mission is to provide personalized, high-quality, patient-centered care while ensuring our patients, families, and visitors are satisfied through caring professionals providing care with dignity and respect.
UVA-HealthSouth Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation Center offers a wide array of programs and services for adolescent, adult and geriatric patients.
"Physical therapists help people with orthopedic conditions such as low back pain or osteoporosis; joint and soft tissue injuries such as fractures and dislocations; neurologic conditions such as stroke, traumatic brain injury, or Parkinson's disease; connective tissue injuries such as burns or wounds; cardiopulmonary and circulatory conditions such as congestive heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease; and workplace injuries including repetitive stress disorders and sports injuries"
- The American Physical Therapy Association
Our Sports Medicine/Physical Therapy team:
Trish Henry PTA, BIS - Clinic Director
- Trish Henry earned her associate's degree in physical therapy at Maria College in 1990 and recently completed her bachelor's degree in interdisciplinary studies at the University of Virginia. Her background in therapy includes five years of sub-acute care experience before moving to outpatient orthopedics 16 years ago. Trish is committed to providing an excellent patient experience and helping patients reach their goals. Special interests include; working with work related injuries, ergonomics and back injury prevention. Trish has been an outpatient administrator for UVA-Healthsouth since 2004.
Eric Magrum, DPT, OCS, FAAOMPT - Senior Physical Therapist and Residency Director
- Eric Magrum graduated from the University of Connecticut in 1994 and received his doctorate in physical therapy from Virginia Commonwealth University in 2010. Eric also completed an orthopedic manual therapy fellowship program earning a full fellowship in the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Therapists. Eric is also board certified through the American Physical Therapy Association as an orthopedic specialist. He is in involved locally, regionally and nationally in teaching and research in the fields of lower quarter biomechanics, running injuries, orthotic management, manual therapy as well as spinal evaluation and management. Eric has been involved with planning and development of Running Medicine, an annual symposium at UVA that is devoted to caring for the running athlete. He is also the director of the UVA/Healthsouth Orthopedic Residency Program.
Robin Tempelton, DPT, ATC, OCS - Staff Physical Therapist
- Robyn Templeton is a California native and completed the sports medicine program at Radford University in 2001, becoming certified as an athletic trainer in 2002. Robyn returned to California and received her doctorate in physical therapy from Chapman University in 2006. She was certified as an orthopedic specialist through the APTA in 2008 and joined the UVA-Healthsouth team in 2010.
Carl Zovko, DPT - Staff Physical Therapist
- Carl Zovko graduated from Hampden-Sydney College in 2004 and received his doctorate in physical therapy from Virginia Commonwealth University in 2008. Carl is a member of the American Physical Therapy Associate (APTA), the Virginia Physical Therapy Association, and the APTA Orthopedic Section.
Kevin Cross, PT, Ph.D., ATC - Staff Physical Therapist and Research Coordinator
- Kevin Cross graduated from the University of Virginia in 1993 with a bachelor's degree in sports medicine and athletic training and in 1994 with a master's degree in the same field. He also earned a master's in physical therapy degree in 1999 from the University of Indianapolis. Kevin recently completed his doctor of philosophy in sports medicine at the University of Virginia. Kevin is a certified athletic trainer (ATC) who has worked in multiple collegiate sports programs including: Ferrum College (two years), University of Indianapolis (three years) and the University of Virginia (eight years). He has been with the UVA-Healthsouth Sports Medicine clinic for the past 4 years as a physical therapist. He is involved in various research projects and participates in local, regional and national symposiums for athletic training and physical therapy.
Michael McMurray, PT, DPT, OCS, FAAOMPT - Staff Physcial Therapist and Residency Instructor
- Michael McMurray graduated from Shenandoah University in 2002 with a master's degree in physical therapy. In 2004, he returned to Shenandoah University and completed his doctorate in physical therapy. Following that, Michael entered a clinical residency program in orthopedic manual physical therapy through the Manual Therapy Institute, graduating in 2005. He then continued on and achieved the designation of Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists (FAAOMPT) in 2007. In 2011, Michael became board certified as an orthopedic clinical specialist (OCS) through the APTA. Michael has participated in a wide array of continuing education courses during his career with an emphasis on orthopedic manual techniques. Additionally, Michael has been a guest lecturer at local physical therapy programs, serves as a clinic instructor for students from multiple physical therapy programs and is an instructor/mentor in the APTA credentialed orthopedic residency program.
APTA Credentialed Orthopedic Residency
"Hand therapy is the art and science of rehabilitation of the upper extremity of the human body. Hand therapists are occupational therapists or physical therapists who, through extra training and experience, have specialized knowledge of upper extremity function. Using specialized skills in assessment and treatment, hand therapists work with their clients to prevent injury or impairment, restore functional activity, and enhance participation in daily life."
- The Hand Therapy Certification Committee
UVA Healthsouth Sports Medicine and Hand Rehabilitation and the University of Virginia Hand Center have joined forces to provide therapy on site at the physican offices for triage care and orthotic fabrication for patients who come to the UVA Hand Center from across Virginia.
Our Hand Therapy team:
Jeff Smith, OTR/L, CHT - Senior Occupational Therapist, Certified Hand Therapist.
- Jeff Smith is a Midwest native and graduated from the Eastern Michigan University Occupational Therapy program in 1993. Jeff was board certified in hand therapy (CHT) in 1999, and recertified in 2004 and 2009. Jeff relocated to Charlottesville in 2007 to join the team at the UVA-Healthsouth/UVA Hand Center after working with the physicians and surgeons of the University of Notre Dame. Jeff is deeply interested in research and teaching in hand therapy and has presented locally on the topic of custom upper extremity orthotics. He co-authored a chapter on the topic of rehabilitation of elbow conditions. Jeff is commited to continually improving the care he provides to his patients.
Jenn DiGrazia, MOT/L - Staff Occupational Therapist
- Jenn Digrazia is a native of the San Francisco Bay area and has worked as a therapist in central Virginia since graduating with her MOT from Boston University's occupational therapy program in 2000. She has provided hand therapy services in the Charlottesville area of the past 7 years. Jenn joined the UVA-Healthsouth/UVA Hand Center team in 2008. Jenn has previously served as an instructor in the occupational therapy program at the Jefferson College of Health Sciences in Roanoke, VA.
Stacy Hite, PT, DPT, MS, CHT - Staff Physical Therapist, Certified Hand Therapist
- Stacy Hite attended the University of Mississippi Medical Center, where she earned a bachelor's degree in physical therapy in 1993 and a master's degree in clinical health sciences in 2006. She received her doctor of physical therapy degree from Virginia Commonwealth University in 2010, and has been a board certified hand therapist (CHT) since 2009. Stacy joined the UVA-Healthsouth/UVA Hand Center team in 2011
Kathy Riley, PT, CHT - Staff Physical Therapist, Certified Hand Therapist
- Kathy Riley graduated from Texas Women's University with her degree in physical therapy and practiced in Houston, Texas for many years before moving to Kentucky to work with the prestigious Kleinert and Kutz Hand Care Center. She has been board certified as a hand therapist (CHT) since 2007 and joined the UVA-Healthsouth/UVA Hand Center team in 2011.
Leslie Baruch, OTR/L - Staff Occupational Therapist, Burn Specialist
- Leslie Baruch has worked at the University of Virginia Medical Center since 1987 as an occupational therapist and specializes in burn care and rehabilitation. She graduated from Tufts University in 1983, and worked in New York City prior to moving to Charlottesville. Leslie treats outpatient burn patients at UVA-Healthsouth, in addition to seeing inpatient burn patients at the UVA Medical Center.
UVA-HealthSouth Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation Center is located at 545 Ray C Hunt Drive, Suite 2100, in the Fontaine Research Park.
Monday - Thursday: 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Friday: 7 a.m. - 5 p.m
For more information about UVA-HealthSouth Outpatient Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation Center's programs, call 434 243-0311.